Parent and Child Visas

Do you have an Australian relative, child or parent living overseas?

There are a number of options that may be available.

Parent Visas

The fastest and most reliable way to sponsor a parent to live in Australia is the contributory parent visa. Although processing is relatively fast at 12 -24 months, this visa comes at a premium with application fees amounting to over $45,000 AUD. The non-contributory parent visa is a much lower cost, but the queue is so long that it is unlikely that this type of application could be processed in under 15 years. However, you may wish to take advantage of the bridging visa that is granted for onshore applications to live in Australia during this process.

Child Visa

If you or your partner is an Australian citizen or permanent resident, and you have the custody of a child whether biological, step-parent adoptive or even a younger sibling then you may have an option to apply for a child visa for them. Adoption cases can be quite complex and we would recommend that you obtain professional advice on child visa options before commencing any adoption process with an overseas child. There are options for sponsoring a child aged over 18 in limited circumstances where it can be established that they are dependent upon you as the sponsoring parent.